Following on from my (partial) successful testing of my first attempts at the FG knot I endeavoured to make improvements: some of my earlier knots partially unravelled because I didn’t lock them down properly.
I re-watched the video of how to tie the knot (see previous post). I also watched this video on the #1 commonest mistake when tying the knot:
This video made some sense, as I was having no issues forming the loops, but wasn’t locking the knot in some of my earlier FG knot attempts. After watching the videos, I tied a further half a dozen test knots, improving with each attempt, including two knots tied on my sailfish popping and live-bait pitching reels. But I wasn’t completely satisfied with them. So I cut them off and retied again, and I finished the tag end of each mono leader by blobbing it with a flame, just for extra security. These last attempts, together with a lighter lure spinning outfit, are the finished items to be tested this coming weekend at Rompin, where they will undoubtedly face the ultimate test against big, powerful sailfish:
I’m very pleased with the form and apparent strength of these knots – they are slick and elegant, perfect for lure fishing, and I’m confident (at this stage whilst still days away from the water), in the quality of my efforts. Time will tell ……!!
I’ll report back on the results in the next blog post.