- First fishing trip of 2016. Time to relax after a hectic time at work
- Decided to hit Post 5 and soak bait, the aim was to pick up a good bag of fish and hopefully a big Amazon Redtail Catfish of two!
- As I was to be fishing close to the restaurant structure, I came armed with a appropriate tools – Two 20lb class spinning rods, one with an Ultegra 6000 spooled with 20lb braid for spinning, the second with a Saltiga 4500 & 30lb line. I used a 50lb mono leaders. Bait was freshly chopped up small catfish, the heads were the most successful ……
- It started of a little slow, a had a few line bites &/or dropped baits before catching the first Amazon Redtail Catfish of the session, in the rain:
Amazon Redtail [fish #1]
- I was soon hooked-up again but got run under the restaurant structure and shredded, despite a heavy drag, by a big fish
- I followed this up with a brace of big fish, of 24 and 25 lbs:
- The 25lb fish was caught right at my feet – I noticed a swirl in the water along the waters edge and dropped a bait on it. Fish on ….!
- The fights were short but intense. The larger Amazon’s, particularly caught close to the restaurant, had to be quickly muscled away from structure, otherwise it was game over. A number of fish got partially under and I could feel the leader chaffing on structure.
Fat Amazon Redtail [fish #3]
- Despite the rain, the fish started to come at regular interval after 6pm.
- On Asian Redtail Catfish to mix things up. A poor fight compared to the Amazon Cats:
- A couple of smaller fish followed:
- Then I noticed another fish prowling the water’s edge. Fishinig with the 20lb outfig, I splashed a catfish head bait on the surface a few times and then let the bait sink. It was engulfed by another 20lb+ sized fish that fought hard on the lighter gear, but I had a good head start on the distance and was just about able to stop it just short of the restaurant structure:
- A good start to the 2016 season ….!