I decided, after a hard week at work, to take advantage of my Friday half-day and head off to the Natural Exotic Pond in the late afternoon for a session of lure fishing. I was joined by my boss, John Weber, in the early evening.
- The first hour was crazy – I landed an Asian Redtail Catfish with my second cast:
- I followed this up with an Amazon Redtail Catfish a few cast later:
- The next half an hour saw me landed 3 consecutive Amazon Cats. After the first fish (foul hooked) I proceeded to land personal best Amazon’s of 30lb and 24lb respectively, before pulling the hook on a third big fish!
30lb Amazon Redtail Catfish
Film – 30lb Amazon Redtail Catfish
Film – 24lb Amazon Redtail Catfish
- My boss showed up just after 6.00pm, just as I hooked-up again. After a brief fight I pulled the hook on this fish
- There then followed a period of quiet (that coincided with the arrival of the boss) ….!! The bite rate dropped dramatically, and the fish that were hooked-up started to spit the hooks with monotonous regularity! It took a further half an hour before fish no.6, an Asian Redtail:
Film – Asian Redtail Catfish
- Meanwhile, John was faring no better – he registered mutltiple hook-ups on both live-bait and lures over the next few hour, but each time the fish managed to get free, even after protracted battles – hooks pulling as the fish was at the bank-side
- I finally manage my seventh fish of the day, after dropping maybe 5 or 6 fish, an Asian Redtail that fought ferociously but was unfortunately foul-hooked.
- I finished my 3 hour session as darkness fell, just before 8.00pm. I stayed an had a cold beer whilst John fished on for another hour to finish his session.